Estate Administration & Probate Work
At the core of estate and trust planning is preservation of assets, deference to the trustee or estate owner, and sensitivity to relevant personal issues. A well-executed estate plan carefully provides for one’s family and loved ones. Carney, Kelehan, Bresler, Bennett & Scherr offers assistance in estate planning and asset protection, helping clients navigate the complex issues surrounding estates and trusts and their tax implications. Through personalized service, we protect the unique needs, values and goals of our clients while addressing the implications of wealth transfer, especially tax liability.
We begin by evaluating the client’s goals and their family and economic situation. We are sensitive to the needs of clients with young or disabled children, blended families and other significant circumstances. We help clients create estate planning documents unique to each of their situations. We also review current estate planning documents to ensure they meet the client’s needs and goals. Our attorneys are experienced in preparing:
- Family limited liability companies and partnerships to hold family property and businesses
- Succession plans for family businesses
- Deeds to convey assets to family members
- Trusts to limit probate, handle special family needs and administer retirement assets
- Powers of attorney in case of disability, incapacity or unavailability
- Advance directives and living wills for health care
CarneyKelehan attorneys guide clients through the probate process when they have recently experienced the loss of a loved one. We offer assistance in:
- Probating the estate
- Advising trustees
- Making family, spousal and tax elections
- Preparing necessary tax returns
- Handling administrative details with the probate court and other persons dealing with the estate
- Accounting for the estate
- Distributing the estate’s assets
- Will contests and disputes
CarneyKelehan estate and trust attorneys also assist in the management of trust assets and administration. Once a trust is established, the trustee must meet all legal obligations in administering the trust. Our attorneys will assist the trustee in administering the trust throughout its existence.
CarneyKelehan attorneys are qualified in all aspects of planning, administration, tax and litigation related to trust and estate planning. While providing the depth of legal resources required for skillfully handling client interests, we are also sensitive to the emotional strain estates can produce.