Darren Burns’ practice centers on education law and litigation, particularly cases involving commercial construction, employment, labor relations, contract, business, real property, and intellectual property/piracy issues. His clients include school systems, developers, contractors, property managers, retail businesses, restaurants and property owners. He represents his clients in courts throughout Maryland as well as in federal court, administrative hearings, arbitration and mediation. In addition to litigation, Mr. Burns advises clients on contracts and business formation, and he handles regulatory matters before various Anne Arundel County and City of Annapolis agencies including liquor licenses and other trade requirements.
An experienced education lawyer, Mr. Burns served for six years as the in-house counsel for the Anne Arundel County Public Schools. He is currently general counsel for two boards of education and has represented boards, local governments and public officials in numerous contract, tort and civil rights cases.
Professionally, Mr. Burns is a Council member of the Construction Law Section of the Maryland State Bar Association, is active in the Maryland Council of Local School Board Attorneys, and was a trustee of the Anne Arundel County Bar Association. His 25 years of experience in court began with his judicial clerkship for the Hon. Robert H. Heller Jr. in the Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County.
Mr. Burns is active in his community association and local politics, coaches youth lacrosse and basketball, and enjoys running and boating with his family.
- J & J Sports Productions, Inc. v. TAG Galleries, LLC, Civ. No. WMN 11-333, 2012 WL2577632 (D. Md. July 3, 2012)
- Stevens v. Showalter, 458 B.R. 852 (D. Md. 2011)
- Joe Hand Promotions, Inc. v. Dock Street Enterprises, Inc. Civ. No. WMN 11-1973, 2011 WL6141058 (D. Md. Dec. 8, 2011)
- Board of Educ. v. Norville, 390 Md. 93 (2005)
- Riverdale Baptist Church v. CertainTeed Corp., 349 F. Supp. 2d 943 (D. Md. 2004)
- Chesapeake Charter v. Bd. of Educ., 358 Md. 129 (2000)
- Battles v. Anne Arundel County Bd. of Educ., 904 F. Supp. 471 (D. Md. 1995), aff’d, 95 F.3d 41 (4th Circ. 1996)
- United Prison Equipment Co., Inc. v. Board of County Com’rs of Caroline County, Md., 907 F. Supp. 908 (D.Md. 1995)
- Griffith v. Truette, 866 F. Supp. 254 (D.Md.1994)
- Racine v. Cecil County, Md., 843 F. Supp. 53 (D. Md. 1994)
- Bourexis v. Carroll County Narcotics Task Force, 96 Md.App. 459, 625 A.2d 391 (1993), cert. denied, 332 Md. 453, 632 A.2d 150, cert. denied, 510 U.S. 1195 (1994)