Judy Bresler concentrates her practice in the field of school law, representing local boards of education and superintendents throughout Maryland. Ms. Bresler handles legal issues involving personnel evaluation, discipline, dismissal, discrimination defense, and disability accommodations as well as student matters including discipline and expulsion.
Ms. Bresler also provides policy advice and representation on issues involving student assignment; school boundaries; and First Amendment Free Speech, Free Exercise of Religion and Establishment Clause cases. She counsels clients on Open Meetings Law and Public Information Act compliance as well as confidentiality laws and discrimination and civil rights matters. She is experienced in negotiating collective bargaining agreements, grievance and arbitration hearings and issues of governmental immunity.
Prior to earning her Juris Doctor degree, Ms. Bresler was a high school English teacher and brings a knowledgeable and practical approach to problem solving for clients. A frequent speaker on school law topics, she is an adjunct professor of school law at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Md. She is a co-author of the “Maryland School Law Deskbook,” published by LexisNexis, and she also recently co-authored a chapter in the “MSBA Maryland Employment Law Deskbook.”
- Venter v. Board of Educ., 195 Md.App. 648 (2006)
- Hurl v. Board of Educ. of Howard County, 107 Md.App. 286 (1995)
- Elprin v. Howard County Bd. of Educ., 57 Md.App. 458 (1984)
- Child Evangelism Fellowship of MD, Inc. v. Montgomery County Public Schools, 373 F.3d 589, (2004)
- Rosenfeld v. Montgomery County Public Schools, 161 Ed.LawRep. 143 (2001)
- Eisenberg ex rel. Eisenberg v. Montgomery County Public Schools, 197 F.3d 123 (1999)